Here's the new dress!I originally drafted the pattern for the dark grey velvet. But, obviously, with velvet, you have to consider the nap, which meant I didn't have anywhere near enough of it for this design. I did like it though and I thought it would work as well in a fairly drapey knit, so I bought this blue/grey/purple viscose lycra (the choice of colour was rather limited because I needed the fabric to have a particular weight and hand).
It's based on these recent sketches but the very first appearance of the idea of it was way back in 2010. The dress has a skirt with six gores which flares out at about 15 cm above the knee. It's a bit longer at the back. The 'waist' seam sits just below the bust at center front and dips to just above the waist at center back. The wide, kimono-sleeved bodice is gathered on. There's generous blousing at side and back because of the fitted, sleeveless, lycra under-bodice which is attached to the outside only at the waistseam and along the neckline. A slight surplice front gives a deep V neckline.
I know this is a rather ehm... revealing dress but I think I can pull it off. Provided I think about where and when to wear it, of course. And, as one would expect, my boyfriend loves it on me....
I found it pretty hard to photograph, here are some of the goofy pictures I tried when I thought normal wasn't really working: