May 31, 2012

Not a skirt - take 2

First of all, my apologies for my absense this past week. I don't even have a good reason for it...
Anyway, the wedding is tomorrow and I think I'll go with the silver dress after all (I bought a light shaper to smooth out any lumps in the hip and thigh area... I may wear that with it). I guess black has been such an everyday colour to me for so long that it just doesn't say 'special occasion'.
After two very sunny weeks, the weather seems to have turned again. Today, it's cloudy, a bit cold and a bit rainy. I really hope, especially for the bride and groom's sake that things will look up a bit tomorrow. I guess they were planning to take pictures on the beach...
For me, it means I may have to whip up some kind of shrug tonight or in the morning, to keep the cold at bay.


Anyway, that's where I am in relation to previous posts. I have, in fact, been sewing a bit this past week.


I made this.
Very wide trousers in soft drapey linen. In fact, technically they're not even trousers. They're floor-length culottes. Does the term 'palazzo pants' apply here? It probably does
These culottes don't have the center front and back pleat nor the extreme width of my earlier little-skirt-like pair. A trouser block would have the crotch curve shaped to provide a close fit between the legs from front to back. In a culotte pattern the legs are more loosely connected. That helps to provide a skirt-like appearance. 


These culottes/trousers have a waistband at the natural waist and in-seam pockets, positioned just where the flare starts on the hip. 


I bought this fabric on sale at the market at the end of last summer. I always thought it had to be used for something very loose and flow-y. And it definately couldn't be used for a top. This colour, worn close to my face, would really make me look like death. For bottoms, it's fine though. 


When I was drafting the pattern, my boyfriend was a bit skeptical. From my describtion of what I was making, he thought it would look like the kind of trousers my mother likes to wear (my mother who is now actually able to wear some of her normal trousers again. About two months after the surgery, the swelling on her hips and legs has finally subsided to a more reasonable degree. She does have a very own sense of style. Lots of colourful, floaty things. And of course, there's that eternal cliche that women don't want to look like their mothers, but inevitably do). He doesn't think so anymore. And I actually feel quite glamorous in these. When the hot weather returns, they will do just fine.

15 comments:

  1. You said it perfectly - these look so glamorous. You remind me of Grace Kelly in your photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are AMAZING. The fit is perfection - it's not a style I would have considered before but like Madalynne says - SO GLAM! (I just wish you inserted your pics a little bigger so I don't have to click on them to see the details!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are really glamorous and so special, and you look fabulous in them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! I'm not a fan of the can't-see-your-feet maxi skirts and have been thinking on extra long culotte pants. Wonderful work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I really like them! In fact, I like your whole outfit. Unusual and elegant, with just a hint of retro. Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glamorous is a good description for these fabulous pants. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! Those are super glam. I love how it makes your legs look like they're five miles long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these, they are so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they look great---elegant yet practical. (OK,I hope practical.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are stunning! I love moving around in palazzo pants... so much volume and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it on your figure! Well done! I bet it's super comfortable too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look pretty awesome on you!! Would you mind setting up a tutorial??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh... These are AWESOME and look gorgeous on you. Weird weird, I was working on some giant leg pants around the same time you were working on these... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prachtige broek en hij staat je heel goed!

    Inmiddels heb ik je blog aan mijn favorieten toegevoegd.

    ReplyDelete