August 20, 2010

flat form experiment - top

It feels it's summer again today, and I really hope it will be here to stay for a little while, because I still plan to go camping for a few days. However, that hasn't stopped me from developing my autumn sewing plans.
I thought about photographing/scanning the stash fabrics I plan on using and post them with my sketches. Thought about it, and then decided against it. Neither photographs nor scans of fabric ever turn out right for me. Every digital device always wants to represent an equal spread of the colour spectrum, so if you try to get an image of a plain colour fabric, the results can be quite... eh.. surprising. I may try to get an image of a bunch of them together, later on.

For now, I would just like to show off my new top. It's one of my experiments: the pattern is very 'flat', part geometrical shape, part from sloper. I made it 'evolve' from the pattern for this top, made earlier this year. It has a warp-over front with a banded neckline and a wide, fitted waistband. The main pattern piece is almost a triangle, cut on the fold with 'dents' in it for the armholes, back neckline and shoulder darts (which need pressing, as I see in the second picture). Originally, I had planned to attach full length sleeves. Howeverm when I tried it on, I realised that, with the armholes in this position, there is slightly more material at the front than at the back. With these banded armholes, it doesn't matter if they are a bit higher at the back then at the front but with sleeves, it could get uncomfortable. Despite that, I'm rather pleased with both the look and the shape. I may try to make yet another step in the development of this part-free form design: a cardigan with sleeves.

10 comments:

  1. That's totally cool. I love it! I think you did just the right thing by leaving sleeves off. The batwing affect is just groovie and it makes your eentsy-weentsy waist look even smaller.

    Any chance we could get a tute on this? I'd love to play with it, too, just NO idea where to start in the drafting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really pretty top! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Darci. A tute would be wonderful! I love this outfit. The trousers are smashing! Great colour.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this. It's almost cape like but form fitted. Love the waist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I barely sew anymore (other things have taken over) I read your blog avidly. A lovely sense of who and where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dolman sleeves and I'd never of thought of green trousers. They are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely top, and looks AMAZING with those stunning leaf green pants. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this one! The shape is very nice. I may have to try making something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Came from Wardrobe Refashion and I have to say... this top is just beautiful!! This is a great outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete