September 30, 2009

Vintage finds

Pictures! I'm finally home by daylight, on my own, without being crazily busy, so I decided to put my somewhat camera-shy self in front of the camera to show you something I found at one of my thrifty market stalls last week.

First up something less intimidating.




These two handbag were mine for 8 euros. There's a good bit of age to them, which shows in their nice clasp closures, leather linings and old-fashioned pulls on their inside zipper-pockets. They've also both seen better days. Especially the handles are in a sorry state. I'm thinking about replacing them. I've got some black metal chain in my stash, but it should really be yellow metal, don't you think?
The one on the left might be eel-skin or reptile and the one on the right snake. However, on close inspection it is clear that there made from leather or even plastic stamped to look like exotic skins (which is good). The 'snake-skin' looks like paper with plastic scales on it when you study the torn bit at the handle. I'll have to ask my bag-o-philiac friend if she can date them or tell me anything more.

The thing for which I had to pose is this:




It's a half circle skirt in soft red leather. Oh, and it has pockets.
I'm always on the lookout for cheap second hand leather items which I can cut up and use to make bags. This one, I found at a stall where I don't usually shop. It was 5 euros. I was intrigued by it but had my doubts about the elastic waistband. But at that price, what could go wrong? It would either be a special garment for me, or several bags.
I threaded in new elastic, making the waistband a bit tighter and I have to say, I kind of like it. The length, fullness and weight of the thing give it, at least in my mind, a bit of 'New Look'-appeal. It may not be practical in real life, but I'll give it a try. Here's one skirt which won't have a date with my scissors any time soon...

5 comments:

  1. A full circle skirt in leather? Isn't it...warm? Is it lined? Id does look good but I just wonder how comfortable it really is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just half a circle (a full one would be WAY too heavy) and it's lined in normal lining fabric. It's heavy but soft which gives it a nice, slow swing. I think I'll try to wear it as a winter skirt and it will soft enough to be comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous! I love the concept although I have doubts about the elasticized waist.

    Just a question: how do you intend to maintain this? Any special product to recommend? I know leather becomes dry and brittle with age and this is vintage/second hand already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The skirt is absolutely beautiful, and you look fabulous in it! I found a long brown leather skirt (lined) and yes, it's quite heavy, but I get compliments every time I wear it. Yours looks much softer, and what an eyecatching color. And a steal for five euros!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The skirt is gorgeous! I would be dubious about the power of elastic to hold it up, but it looks absolutely lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete